Exclusive interview with Cameron Sean

Cameron Sean is a breath of fresh air to the music scene with lyrics saturated in grippingly raw and wholehearted, genuine perspective for which the genre is known. At 18 years old, he had topped national charts, taking over the #1 spot on college radio stations across the country with "Prada Frames" and capturing the attention of industry heavy hitters. Now in his twenties, his ever-expanding hit list includes collaborations with Grammy-nominated jazz musician Richie Goods and multi-talented Taiwanese composer/contemporary percussionist Chien Chien Lu. Chinese by birth, he is also a passionate advocate for the #StopAsianHate movement, seeking to inspire systemic change not only through his rhymes but also through his actions.

S!: Hi Cameron, how are you today?

CS: I’m doing well, no complaints on my end. How are you?


S!: You are one of the artists that managed to transform a casual hobby into a life-saving outlet for his pain, heartbreaks, and triumphs. What is your story?

CS: I hail from Westchester NY and growing up I've always been infatuated by hip hop. Hip hop has helped me through many difficult times in my life and without it I don't know if I’d be here currently. Music resonates with people, and I want to connect to my fans on a personal level.


S!: How would you define your style?

CS: I would describe my style as “old school sounding lyrics, mixed with modern day melodies.”




S!: Penning the unforgettable verses of "Please Don't Hate," you became a strong advocate for #StopAsianHate. Do you think the world will change for the better in respect of racial hate and injustice?

CS: I think there will always be injustice and evil in the world we live in. All I can do is spread positivity and be an advocate against all types of hate, not just Asian injustice. 


S!: What is the work you are most proud of?

CS: As of right now I am most proud of my song “Crazy”. “Crazy” has received a lot of attention and has been played on many radio outlets. It feels good knowing that people can relate to what I'm discussing on that track. 


S!: Who is top 3 artists right now according to you?

CS: Right now, my top 3 are Drake, J Cole, and Kendrick Lamar. These three have been consistent for over a decade, and it shows how their styles are timeless and always adjust with the current sounding state of Hip Hop.

S!: Who are your top 3 inspirations for your music?



CS: My parents, my relationships, and any trial or tribulation I've undergone. My thought process is that if I just be myself and stay authentic, you don't know who you're potentially impacting with your art.

S!: Among all the artists, dead or alive, who would you like to share the stage with?



CS: If I could choose one artist to the share the stage with-it would-be Drake. I've always related to him most because the versatility of his sound but also his upbringing. Drake and I are both mixed races, we are both not from the streets, and we both can remain lyrical while also possess the ability to sing.


S!: What are you plans for the 2023?


CS: Currently I am working on a project to be released later this year! I’m the musical headliner at UBC TV’S “Why You Mad Yo?” comedy show, and we’ll be touring across the globe, which is ran by Ant Jones. My managers are doing some table talking with the industry, so I’m hyped about that.

S!: What’s your biggest dream?




CS: My goal is to inspire others and to become a household name within Hip Hop. I want to let my listeners know that you can be whatever you want in this life and that I'm living proof.
S!: What is your inspirational quote of the day?


CS: “You can't fail if you don't quit.” 


Follow Cameron on his social media (links) and listen to his tracks (links)



You can find me on every social media platform @cameronseanmusic

You can listen to my songs under “Cameron Sean” on every major streaming platform.

Comments